Please help improve this article or section by expanding it with: generic explanations of the Investigator sheets.
Each Investigator has two abilities that give them uniqueness and a specific gameplay. All have an active ability which requires a Component Action to activate it, and a passive ability which works anyway. According to the Investigator, some are generic and effective in the majority of cases, while some other may be more situational but open certain combos with specific Possessions or with other investigators. Abilities are often linked to the Investigators Skills and are the major characteristic which defines their team role.
Health and Sanity
Each Investigator has five different skills listed on the bottom of his Investigator sheet. The number below each skill is the number of dice investigator rolls when resolving a test. Each skill is represented with unique icon.
- Lore is often tested when casting Spells and resolving Other World Encounters.
- Influence is often tested when performing Acquire Assets action and resolving General Encounters on City spaces and Defeated Investigator Encounters.
- Observation is often tested when resolving Research Encounters and Expedition Encounters.
- Strength is often tested when resolving Combat Encounters and Expedition Encounters.
- Will is often tested when resolving Combat Encounters and Other World Encounters.
A more detailed list for the investigators with their original set, statistics and roles.
|Agatha Crane||Parapsychologist||09||5||7||4||3||3||1||2||Magic, Research|
|Agnes Baker||Waitress||03||7||5||4||3||2||2||2||Magic, Support|
|Akachi Onyele||Shaman||01Core||5||7||3||2||2||2||4||Gate Closer|
|"Ashcan" Pete||Drifter||08||7||5||3||1||3||3||3||All-Rounder, Gate Closer|
|Bob Jenkins||Salesman||08||7||5||2||4||2||3||2||Support, All-Rounder|
|Calvin Wright||Damned||09||7||7||3||3||3||3||1||All-Rounder, Support|
|Carson Sinclair||Butler||09||6||6||2||3||3||2||3||Support, All-Rounder|
|Daniela Reyes||Mechanic||09||7||5||3||3||1||3||3||Combat, All-Rounder|
|Dexter Drake||Magician||06||5||7||4||2||2||2||3||Magic, Gate Closer|
|Diana Stanley||Redeemed Cultist||01Core||7||5||4||2||3||3||1||Magic|
|Father Mateo||Priest||09||5||7||3||3||1||2||4||Gate Closer|
|Finn Edwards||Bootlegger||03||6||6||2||3||3||2||3||Support, All-Rounder|
|Gloria Goldberg||Author||07||4||8||3||3||3||1||3||Support, Research|
|Hank Samson||Farmhand||05||8||4||1||2||3||4||3||Combat, Expedition|
|Joe Diamond||Private Eye||05||7||5||2||3||4||2||2||Research|
|Kate Winthrop||Scientist||07||5||7||3||2||4||2||2||Research, Gate Closer*|
|Leo Anderson||Expedition Leader||01Core||6||6||2||2||3||3||3||Expedition,
|Lily Chen||Martial Artist||01Core||6||6||2||2||2||4||3||Combat, All-Rounder|
|Luke Robinson||Dreamer||07||4||8||4||2||1||2||4||Gate Closer|
|Marie Lambeau||Entertainer||04||6||6||3||4||2||2||2||Magic, Support|
|Minh Thi Phan||Secretary||05||6||6||3||3||3||2||2||Support|
|Norman Withers||Astronomer||01Core||5||7||3||1||3||2||4||Magic, Gate Closer|
|Patrice Hathaway||Violinist||03||5||7||3||2||3||1||4||Gate Closer|
|Roland Banks||Fed||08||7||5||2||2||4||2||3||Research, Support|
|Tommy Muldoon||Rookie Cop||03||7||5||2||3||3||3||2||Combat|
|Tony Morgan||Bounty Hunter||04||7||5||2||2||4||3||2||Research|
The roles for each investigator are not rigid, and each investigator can perform any of the functions required. Rather, the specified role simply states what the investigator's stats, skills, abilities, and starting equipment provide a natural fit for.
It is not necessary to pick one of each type for a successful team. Skill improvements, spells, and equipment can be earned through the course of the game that can augment each investigator's performance in each role.
- Research - A research investigator specializes in obtaining clues, whether by their own abilities or through research encounters (which frequently test Observation). Clues are almost always needed to make progress on Mysteries or to prevent the harmful effects of Rumors.
- Gate Closer - Gate closers complete Other World Encounters to remove gates from the board, preventing doom from advancing. These encounters frequently test Lore and Will, and an ideal gate closer will also have some means of dealing with the monsters that guard gates (or else they can work with a Combat investigator).
- Combat - For defeating monsters that spawn in with gates, or through certain other effects. These investigators have high Strength (taking into account their starting weapon) and moderate to high Will, and ideally a balance of health and sanity.
- Expedition - While expeditions are usually not required to beat the game, investigators who can complete them can retreat doom or obtain powerful artifacts to help the team, making them good support characters. These encounters frequently test Observation and Strength.
- Magic - A magic oriented investigator will typically possesses a high Lore rating and either start with spells or have abilities that facilitate gaining spells. Spells serve a wide variety of functions both in and out of combat, so Magic is more of a bonus to a role than a role itself.
- Support - Support investigators have abilities that assist other investigators in a variety of ways. Most often they perform this role by obtaining Assets (typically with high Influence), while others may assist in recovering health or sanity, granting extra movement, etc.
- All-Rounder - An investigator with well-rounded stats that can quickly adapt to several different roles.